7 Dec 2013

Learning styles/Multiple intelligences

This week I read about learning styles and technology tools for multiple intelligences. The article Tech tools that support multiple intelligences was very interesting because it includes information on multiple intelligences and how technology tools support classroom activities for each of the 9 intelligences identified by Gardner. I participated in the discussion in Nicenet and included web tools I know for each intelligence:

Verbal/ Linguistic: people learn best through language including speaking, writing, reading, and listening which means that we can use most of the websites we saw. :)
What's more, students can prepare interactive Powerpoint presentations and complete tasks created in different authoring tool programs such as Hot Potato. They can use audio recorders such as Audacity and Vocaroo.

Logical/Mathematical: people learn best through numbers, reasoning, and problem solving. For example, they can use graphic organizers such as Cmap tools and Cacoo and webquests as we created.

Visual/Spatial: people learn best visually and tend to organize their thinking spatially. I have mentioned some and I'd like to include online comic creator tools such as Toon Doo, avatars like Voki and talking photos like Fotobabble. I included some examples in previous blog posts.

Bodily/Kinesthetic: people learn best through physical activity such as dance, hands-on tasks, constructing models, and any kind of movement. QR codes treasure hunts which I included in Paddlet seem to be a good option. Students can go on a field trip use their mobile phones to take pictures, record videos and audios and then prepare a presentation.

Musical/Rhythmic: people learn best through sounds including listening and making sounds such as songs, rhythms, patterns, and other types of auditory expression. I'm thinking about David Ferlazzo's post on week 3, using radio programmes and video clips and speaking lesson plans at one stop English. 

Intrapersonal: people learn best through metacognitive practices which means that creating a reflective blog in Blogspot or an e-porftolio in Weebly where students write about their learning process and goals apart from showing their work can be of great help.They can also use blipfoto if they like posting photos. Blipfoto lets students share their photos one day at a time and write about them. It's free and easy to use. It's like a daily photo journal.

Intrapersonal: people learn best through interaction with other people. For that reason, students can participate in forums, work in group in wikis or google docs, participate in key pal or school links projects, comments on each other's blogs, etc.

Naturalist: people learn best through the interactions with the environment. This may include using QR codes for treasure hunts, the mobile phone for videorecording and taking photos to prepare a presentation of a field trip, google earth, woices to upload photos and audios about a school trip, etc.

I also read the article "Learning styles and strategies" by Felder & Soloman which explores the impact of different learning styles on classroom performance. Teachers must understand the fact that students learn in different ways and plan lessons which suit their needs and learning styles.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Maria Laura: I think you did a wonderful job in summarizing the key words for each learning style and giving options for activities.

    I would like to share with you a quote I like and that I think it's related to what the article "Learning style and Strategies covers: "Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common. Celebrate it every day" (Anonymous).

    Saludos de Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola David,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm also visiting your blog and leavning the following comments:
    The way you presented "learning styles + activities" is great. It isvery complete and clear. You included different activities and even included some links. I also agree with the quote you posted as teachers must welcome all their students, be even-handed and plan activities which suit all their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Maria,
    Greetings from Yemen!
    Thank you very much indeed for visiting my blog and for your nice comment. Truly speaking, you have done a splendid job in summarizing the eight types of intelligences and recommending some nice tools. I would also like to congratulate you on completing your project. Whenever I have some free time, I will try to read your project. I am sure that it will be worth reading!
    Best and regards,
    Mohammad

    ReplyDelete